Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ivy Hall & Sunrise of Johns Creek


It was a fun, busy day for Notes of Joy once again!
    
Today, we visited 2 more nursing homes - Ivy Hall and Sunrise of Johns Creek. As usual, we played some of our favorites, like Georgia on My Mind, Theme from New York, New York, and America the Beautiful, not to mention classical music like Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 and Allegro in D for Strings!
    
Another popular selection that we recently added was "An Armed Forces Tribute," dedicated in honor of all those who have served this country.
    
Sadly, we didn't take any pictures at Ivy Hall, but here are some from Sunrise!





As much as I love playing for our senior citizens, personally, my favorite part of visiting nursing homes is conversing with the elderly.Throughout all my Notes of Joy experiences, I have been given so much advice from these wise individuals, advice that brings tears to my eyes.
      
For example, a  great man from Ivy Hall told me today, while discussing his motivation for fighting in WWII, that "all people are people" and how he wishes that all people would realize that. These senior citizens have done so much on our behalf for this community, and I feel that it's the least that we can do to give back.
    
It's amazing how much a mere conversation means to them; it shows them that young people care. Their appreciation and support are absolutely unfathomable.
       
Here are some more pictures from after our performance:












If you've never visited a nursing home, I encourage you to go out and share your experiences with our senior citizens and to listen to their fascinating life stories. It would mean so much to them.

Have a great week!

-Priscilla Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment